Jun 21, 2012
The Show Notes
New Rush album
Steve Novella's correction
Religious Moron(s) of the Week
- The Independent Nun-Hating Holy See from James Booth
- Indonesia’s Gaga Banning FPI from Paul Freeland
- Botched Circumciser from Chad Walker
Watching the Enterprise get parked
- Mantis Shrimp
Mortimer Calls again again, again. Again.
- Drums? from Tim Farley
- Drums? from Eliot Silbar
- Bass? from Anton Nordenfur
Bleeding Through at FNFF
Mentioned in the Show
Geo's Music: stock
Sign up for the mailing list: Write to Geo!
A reminder that the new portal to the Geologic Universe is at GeorgeHrab.com.
Score more data from the Geologic Universe! Get George's Non-Coloring Book at Lulu, both as and E-BOOK and PRINT editions.
Check out Geo's wiki page thanks to Tim Farley.
Get your George HrApp here. Thanks to Gerry Orkin for the design and engineering.
Have a comment on the show, a Religious Moron tip, or a question for Ask George? Drop George a line and write to Geo's Mom, too!
1) The Blackbird on the deck of the Intrepid is actually an A-12, not an SR-71 (admittedly, they are hard to tell apart, but the giveaway is that the earlier A-12 was a single seater while the SR-71 placed a RSO (reconnaissance systems officer) behind the pilot).
2) On the story of the mantis shrimp, pressure is measured in gigapascals, not gigapixels.
3) Also on the mantis shrimp, chitin is pronounced "kite-in".
(I'm sorry, but it's a rare occasion when I can point out an error in your podcast - I guess the inclusion of Dr. Novella's critique at the start had me primed to look for any mistakes)
But these are the most minor of infractions compared to what you neglected to mention about the mantis shrimp - its phenomenal eyes! Not only is each eye trinocular, but compared to the measly 3 color channels that our feeble human eyes have, the mantis shrimp has 12, allowing them to see well into the ultraviolet range. And to top it all off, while we need special sunglasses just to distinguish linearly polarized light, these little motherfuckers can detect _circularly_ polarized light. I'd call that... Interesting... Fauna...
Re: New Rush album. I had a similar realization after my mother had died and a new novel by her favourite author, Dick Francis, was released.
ten and a half years ago
I had to post this, as it reminded me of the RMotW: http://www.foreskinman.com/foreskinman.htm